"Not my mother, not my father, but it's me, O Lord, standin' in the need of prayer,
Not my sister, not my brother, but it's me, O Lord, standin' in the need of prayer.
It's me, it's me, it's me, O Lord, standin' in the need of prayer..."
I love how everyone starts to sway and clap, with big smiles and nods, when the music starts for this one. It makes me feel like I've been transported out of our urban Episcopal chapel and into a clapboard Baptist church somewhere below the Mason-Dixon Line. It's one of those songs that is fun to sing and just so simply true all at the same time.
It struck me particularly this past Sunday night. I'd come to church that night in a much-less-than-perfect state and to say the least, I was feeling "the need." I’d spent the weekend mostly alone and I felt like I’d
whiled away precious free time. It was more than simply being unproductive; it
was the feeling that I’d somehow unplugged the goodness and joy stored inside.
Instead of replenishing that store through the things I know help me to rest
(reading, knitting, worshiping, prayer, journaling, walks, cooking), I’d made
choices that drained it, leaving me feeling stuffed yet empty, restless, and
exhausted of my own mind. Long periods of time spent alone, like I had this
weekend, often begin with relief at finally being hermitted away from the world, but
end in overstaying my welcome, getting on my own nerves.
While I actually had some amazing, revelatory moments of self-compassion this weekend (I'll get to that in a post in the next few days, I hope!), by the time Sunday rolled around, I still just felt BLEH. I knew I was supposed to be one of the healing prayer team members that night at the service, so that made me even less excited at the prospect of driving into the city for church-- how could I possibly pray for others when I felt such a general funk?
But what I love about our evening service is that there is a kind of permission to come as you are. So in the end, I dragged myself there (after, of course, finding every conceivable way to delay my departure), walked in toward the end of the sermon and snuck into a seat in the
back. I sat there feeling inadequate and disconnected and completely the wrong
person to soon stand up as one of the prayer team in a few minutes. But something made me stand up anyway. I took a spot leaning against a wall, gazed straight at the cross, and just whispered His name. So many times in life, that is enough. He simply doesn't require more than a breath of yes.
And as people came forward for prayer, a beautiful thing happened. I prayed from the place I was at. From "the need." And it turned into some of the most connected prayer I've done with others in awhile. I guess I've recently gotten used to praying for others from my knowledge of Christ's strength, rather than my need for Christ's strength. That night, I prayed with those
who came, not as a warrior, calling down heaven and casting out the enemy….but
as a fellow beloved struggler, “standin’ in the need of prayer.” When one young
woman asked for prayer after losing her job and having to go live in a shelter,
describing herself as having been pushed “fifteen steps backward," I prayed from
the place in me that felt pushed backward and thwarted.When another described feeling disjointed in this city of hampster-wheel-living, I prayed from my own topsy-turvy and unfocused mindset. I prayed from the place of need and
it became a prayer that I could fully participate in. As I proclaimed truths of
God’s love and provision and restoration over these women, I could sit under that
fountain of His abundant love, too. Or, rather, stand. Because on the good days and the bad, if we're honest with ourselves, aren't we always just standin' in the need of prayer?
Friend! Though I'm finally commenting on this months after you posted, this is exactly the word I needed for today. Your 3rd paragraph on making choices that drain the stores of joy and rest and getting on your own nerves...yes! I get that so much. I have been gifted a little vacation recently before school starts up again, and it hasn't been Sabbath-like. But this song points me to humility. Who's standing in the need of prayer? ME! Most definitely. Thanks for this slice of humble pie today. It, surprisingly, tastes good.
ReplyDelete