On Saturday, I ran 13.1 miles. I still can't really believe I did it, but somehow, by the grace of God, my feet kept moving and I didn't stop running until I crossed that half-marathon finish line! It was an incredible experience. And it was cool to do it not just for my own physical health, but for World Vision's efforts to provide clean water to those who don't have access to it (it is hard to believe that is still possible in the world today, but apparently it's a huge reality for many people). Anyway, there's a lot I could say about the race, but one thing stands out as most important: that God taught me to rely on Him....physically, mentally and emotionally.
The night before the race I was so anxious I couldn't sleep at all. My automatic reaction was to think that God was just not showing up, not holding up His end of the bargain, not giving me what I wanted. And somehow, His voice broke through my self-centered, sleepless, anxious thoughts and the words that stuck with me as I fell asleep, as I ate my oatmeal the next morning, and even as I ran the course were "you shall not strike your foot against a stone." I found myself praying that over and over as I ran, lifting my body up to Him, and trusting that He protect me from illness, injury and hopelessness. And he most certainly did! I experienced joy as I ran-- He lifted me up and truly kept my feet (and my spirits) from stumbling.
Last night, I took the time (finally) to look up that passage and found that it was from Psalm 91- a psalm that has meant a great deal to me in the past. It begins: "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty" and as it continues it resounds in some of the most hollow crevices in my spirit...."He will cover you with his feathers and under his wings you will find refuge....You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday....For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone."
Here is what is TRUE (not easy....but true): If we learn to dwell in Him, we will find rest....rest in the Truth that He hears us. He sees us. He knows us. He loves us. He covers us. He keeps us.....And He lifts us up.
Something to consider:
ReplyDeletePsalm 91 is one of the Psalms written out in the evening order for Compline in the Book of Common Prayer. So it looks like those words have brought solace and peace to many others before us...
"God grant us a peaceful night and a perfect end. Our help is in the name of the Lord. The maker of heaven and earth...O God make speed to save us. O Christ make haste to help us..." (BCP, pg. 127)