Wednesday, March 30, 2011

He Sees Us as though We Were....

Tonight I rode home near a woman with hospital bands still clinging to her wrists. She was the ultimate representation of the travesty of slashing public mental health funding........but that's another story. Anyway, as she sat, flinging about abrupt verbal vulgarities and counting the same two dollar bills over and over, the seats around her quickly emptied (a rarity on the long ride uptown) and suddenly, I saw her- for a brief second- from a standpoint of compassion, rather than fear. She was literally, and deeply, alone. Alone among a traincar of people who just wanted to get home to safety and warmth. Alone in her confusion and pain and suffering and mental anguish. Just...alone. Miraculously, I didn't pity her; I sort of, weirdly, understood a small part of her. I wished I had the guts to walk away from my safe seat (jammed b/t two burly guys) and sit with her, maybe even ask her name. I don't know if that would even be wise...but I wondered. What would the power of such a small act be in the face of the indifference, fear, apathy, and even disgust-- in my own heart and in those in around me?

All I can say is....the change in me is small and slow and nearly imperceptible. But. God is freeing me from fear. And I'm practicing saying YES.... to the freedom of Christ, to the love of God, to new ground... and to opening my heart more and more to "the God who gives life to the dead and calls things that are not as though they were." (Romans 4:17)

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled across this quotation just now from our dear friend, Henri. Thought it resonated with your heart's present journey...

    "For most of my life I have struggled to find God, to know God, to love God. I have tried hard to follow the guidelines of the spiritual life—pray always, work for others, read the Scriptures—and to avoid the many temptations to dissipate myself. I have failed many times but always tried again, even when I was close to despair.

    Now I wonder whether I have sufficiently realized that during all this time God has been trying to find me, to know me, and to love me. The question is not “How am I to find God?” but “How am I to let myself be found by him?” The question is not “How am I to know God?” but “How am I to let myself be known by God?” And, finally, the question is not “How am I to love God?” but “How am I to let myself be loved by God?” God is looking into the distance for me, trying to find me, and longing to bring me home."

    From The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming by Henri J. M. Nouwen

    ReplyDelete