Monday, March 14, 2011

Our Unborn Wholeness

"But Jesus said, 'No more of this!' And he touched his ear and healed him."
Luke 22:51

While reading through the end of Luke 22 in my small group's weekly practice of lectio divina last Thursday night, I was confronted with the distinction between Jesus' healing touch and all the ways we avoid or corrupt touch in the world. Here we are, on the night of his betrayal and arrest. The disciples are sleeping "because of grief" (oh, how I know that feeling)-- they've isolated themselves out of what I can only assume to be a state of incredible despair, confusion, loss. In my imagination, none of them sit together, but everyone, unable to deal with it, spreads out and finds a lonely place to drown in. 

And then we have Judas, whose instinct to touch comes from a place of covering, hiding, denying. He greets Jesus with a kiss- a sign of welcome and affection, of friendship-- but Jesus immediately rebukes him....calling him out on his dishonesty. I get that, too, I think. Trying to live in denial....to pretend I'm not turning against someone, or against God-- maybe even trying to convince myself. 

And the touch of the sword. Someone who loves Jesus is filled with anger at the injustice of the situation, burning to slice away all that is wrong in the world in one slick moment. There I am, also....filled with frustration and passion and loyalty and pride. But the sword brings no resolution..... only the sting of Jesus' words, ringing out in the night, "NO MORE OF THIS." 

And then.....there is Jesus. In the darkness, his fingers reach out and touch the wounded servant. Jesus. The only one whose touch restores humanity....births a moment of reconciliation, peace, wholeness. His touch is healing. He shocks us back into a right understanding of community, forgiveness, hope, and love with one single touch. I think He longs to heal us, too. Do you believe that? I don't believe it about myself. I see his hunger to heal those around me....but I confess I struggle to understand why he would want to heal me. But I am choosing to believe it. And stepping forward in faith in one or two specific ways because of that this week. After all, He is more powerful than my unbelief.

And Jesus also longs to heal through us. Father, teach me to see the ache in the world around me and advocate for healing..... teach us to serve the world in such a way that, as Rachel Naomi Remen says, "we see the unborn wholeness in others; we collaborate with it and strengthen it. Others may then be able to see their wholeness for themselves for the first time." 

Amen. Make us whole, Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment